It’s a question that has plagued the minds of young people for decades: why are fake IDs so hard to spot? And what happens if you get caught with one in your possession? In this article, we will answer these questions and more. We’ll cover what exactly a fake ID is, how to spot them efficiently, and what can happen if you’re caught. Read on!
How to spot a fake ID?
Fake IDs are often passed around college campuses and bars, making them a common part of the party scene. Fake IDs can also be used to purchase tobacco or alcohol from stores that sell age-restricted items. They’re not just a way for people under 21 to get into an R-rated movie with their friends – they also allow younger people to drink at parties without being carded by bartenders and bouncers all night long.
So how do you spot one?
- First, know what a real ID should look like. Look at the holographic image to make sure it is not just a sticker on top of an old card
- Look for lettering that does not match up with other letters in the word(s)
- Scratches or lines that make it appear to be an old photo
- Different types of fonts and colors
- ID Chief’s Tip: One way to tell if an identification card might be fake is by checking if the back has any text on it (especially in lower corners). Real IDs will have at least one line of small print.
- Feel if there are bumps or raised issues on the card. This often happens when someone tries printing off their own fake id and they do not have good quality paper, which results in bubbles or pitting from people’s fingertips being pressed against them during production.
- Does the card have an expiration date? If so, does it match with what’s printed on the back of the driver’s license?
- Check different areas of the photo – this can help you identify whether it has been tampered with at all (e.g., one ear might be more visible than another).
- One easy way to tell if the id photo has been tampered with is to check whether it looks like a mirror image of what you are seeing.
- Look at any security features, such as holograms or magnetic strip and ensure that they line up correctly in each area
- Know how old certain IDs are – for example if someone is trying to use an Alabama license when the driver’s age should be 21+, keep looking!
- Read all the information on the ID carefully (e.g., name, date of birth)
Are fake IDs illegal?
Yes, fake IDs are illegal in the United States. Not only can they get you into legal trouble, but also if used to commit a crime, could lead to more serious consequences.
Fake ID laws are just one of many laws enforced by police officers. If an officer suspects you have a fake ID and asks for it, what happens next depends on where these events occurred.
If this happened at or near a college-age social event (bar/club etc.), then the person may be charged with “Possession of Fake Identification” which is typically punishable by up to six months in jail and fines ranging from $500-$1000 USD.
If anywhere else other than the above-mentioned location, then most likely there will not be any charges unless the person also committed another crime.
If you are caught with a fake ID, then your best option is to be honest and cooperate with police officers. In some cases, they will let you off with just a warning if it was not used in any criminal activity or as evidence of committing other crimes. If they do decide to charge the individual, there can still be legal consequences even after being charged (i.e., lawyer’s fees).
You should never give anyone else your real identification for them to use because this could result in both persons getting into trouble- one for giving out their personal information and one for taking credit using someone else’s identity.
What happens if you get caught with a fake ID?
It all depends on what state you’re in. In some states, using a fake ID to buy alcohol is just seen as being under-aged and the repercussions are fairly minor. However, if it’s used for more serious crimes, such as trying to purchase cigarettes or vote illegally then higher penalties apply. If an individual has been found guilty of possessing or manufacturing false identification documents they may face criminal charges punishable by fines and imprisonment time up to one year depending upon their state laws.
It’s important for people to understand that using a fake ID is illegal and could have serious consequences. This includes fines, imprisonment time, or both.
If you are caught with a fake ID and it is the first offense, then you might get off with just a warning. However, if you use your fake ID to purchase alcohol or cigarettes while underage (or for other purposes) more than once in one year, there can be heavy consequences including fines up to $1000 and even jail time of as much as twelve months.
The penalties increase drastically if you’re using your false identification card in order to commit other crimes such as sexual assault or terrorism. For example: If convicted of terrorist activity involving an explosion; possessing these items without lawful authority would result in up to life imprisonment plus 30 years supervised release and a fine under this statute on conviction either before, during, or after the completion of such sentence.
Can you get arrested for a fake ID?
Yes, you can get arrested for a fake ID. The punishments vary and are determined on the state but they range from fines up to jail time. In most states, it’s illegal to buy or sell a fake ID card with your personal information on it without approval by law enforcement authorities.
It is also illegal in many states to own any type of bogus identity card that has someone else’s name and/or picture on it. It is a misdemeanor crime in most states to give a police officer false identification when asked for it.
Many different charges exist depending on the type of ID that was used and whether it has been doctored or tampered with in any way, but they are all felonies if you have an intent to defraud or use them fraudulently.
Some fake IDs will simply be confiscated while others can lead to felony prosecution. It’s hard to say what your particular outcome may look like without knowing more information about your situation and where you live so please consult an attorney before making any decisions about obtaining a bogus identity card.
You should never break the law. If you get caught with a fake ID, it can be costly and even lead to jail time in some states for an offense that is usually considered as just a misdemeanor charge. The easiest way to spot a fake ID is by looking at the hologram on the front of your card. Make sure there are not any air bubbles or vertical lines behind the image – these will indicate that it could be counterfeit. If you have any doubt about whether or not something looks legit, don’t risk getting into trouble!